Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Stories of Resilience



Sometimes, there are just those days when we are stressed, things go wrong, and we keep thinking about a problem and believe that there is no solution in sight. In these situations, it sometimes helps to read real-life stories that inspire us and make us feel better and motivated again. The stories that I have in mind are Stories of Resilience. These are stories about people who have successfully survived through trying times - times that seemed too difficult for someone to conquer. The word resilience refers to the "ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change" (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary), and there are people who are more resilient than others. On this blog, I will try to provide you with different stories from time to time, so that, if you feel like it, you can read them in order to get inspired or motivated. 

Today, I will present you a story that was told to me by my brother and that left me speechless when I heard it for the first time. It is the story of Mario Capecchi, an Italian  molecular geneticist who survived being on the streets on his own from the age of four until he was found by his mother about four years later - and is now a Nobel Prize winner. Read the story here and get inspired :).





photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/seyyed_mostafa_zamani/5771861523/">seyed mostafa zamani</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>
source: www.wikipedia.com

1 comment :

  1. Amazing story! I got goosebumps when I read it via the link you posted. Thanks for the great post, too, it really put things into perspective. Helped me through a crappy day.
    xoxo Franziska

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink